October, “DelCampo Smile Month”
Did you know that Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts created the smiley face in 1963?
As the years passed, Mr. Harvey Ball became concerned about the over-commercialization of his symbol. Out of that concern came his idea for World Smile Day®.
He thought that all of us should devote one day each year to “smiles and kind acts” throughout the world. Mr. Harvey Ball believed that each one of us has the ability to make a positive difference in this world. He knew that any effort to improve the world, no matter how small, was worthwhile. He understood the power of a smile and a kind act.
So, he declared that “the first Friday in October each year” would be World Smile Day®.
This year, World Smile Day® will be celebrated around the world on Friday, October 2.
But at DelCampo, we wish to celebrate it throughout the month of October; therefore, we have declared October 2015 as“DelCampo Smile Month” to "Do acts of kindness and Help others smile"!
Throughout this month, The Gallery will be hosting different activities.
We invite the entire DelCampo Community to join!
For news and updates of “DelCampo Smile Month”, please visit our website delcampo.education/campus life/cafeteria.
DCIS Smile Ambassadors
DelCampo has declared October as “DelCampo Smile Month” to promote “acts of kindness and help others smile"!
You can help honor members of our community that frequently and selfishly “do acts of kindness and help others smile” by nominating them as DelCampo Smile Ambassadors 2015. Therefore, we ask our community to nominate candidates on October 26 & 27 by taking a picture of him or her and sending it, to email@example.com. Please, include the reason why they are being nominated.
Candidates can be students, teachers, principals, secretaries, administrative staff, and support staff including nannies, drivers, maintenance, security and The Gallery employees.
Once we have our candidates, we will ask you to visit our Instagram dcis_wildcats and vote by giving a “like” under the candidate’s photograph from Wednesday October 28th to Friday October 30th..
During the DCIS Olympic Games Closing Ceremony on November 2, we will award the winner(s) of the DelCampo Smile Month by naming them DelCampo Smile Ambassadors 2015.
Examples of acts of kindness
- Smile at someone on campus, just because
- Say "good morning”, “please" and "thank you"—and really mean it.
- Find opportunities to give compliments. It costs nothing, takes no time, and could make someone’s entire day. Don’t just think it. Say it!
- Put a surprise sticky note or sketch in your classmate or teacher’s desk
- Email or write a person who has made a difference in your life
- Give someone a hug
- Make a positive comment on a facebook page, instagram or twitter
- Pick up trash
- Offer somebody a candy or a treat
- Say something nice about somebody
- Speak kindly
- If you are in a line, for example, at the bookstore (Tiendita escolar) or The Gallery, invite the person behind you to go first
- Hold a door open for someone
- Forgive someone
- Ask others –sincerely- what you can do to help
Our first nominee
Ms. Ines is one of our beloved nannies that everyday greets us with a smile. She is always ready to lend a hand whether it is to carry a book bag or clean a spill, and goes out of her way to make us feel special.